First character? Start on Creating Your Dragon instead.
| Recessive Genes |
You may choose for a gene to be recessive. This means it will not show up on the physical appearance of your dragon. Choosing recessive traits will make them harder to pass to offspring. If you receive a physical trait from a different element (such as ‘aquatic limbs’ on an Earth dragon or ‘Wingless’ on a Fire dragon), you may make that recessive and choose one of the base element physical traits instead. Physical traits that are made recessive drop off of the gene entirely.
| Charged Traits |
When breeding parents with the same trait, sometimes an egg will have that trait…Charged. A Charged trait does not affect breedings, but it can give that dragon a unique appearance. Whether you choose to use Charged rules or normal rules is entirely up to you–charged markings simply have expanded design choices. You can find out the details of Charged traits on that specific page (IE: for Charged Striped, check Striped).
| Physical Traits |
| Free Traits |
These are available to any dragons.
| Display Traits |
Ultra-Rare | Rare | Uncommon | Common
| Modifier Traits |
Ultra-rare | Rare | Uncommon | Common
Beyond these traits, there are a few mutations not attached to any element. Italicized mutations cannot be inherited. All except for Independent and Genesis have a chance of appearing randomly in a clutch.
- Albinism – Prevents most display traits from showing on your dragon and turns the scale base white. Some things which affect the texture of scales, such as Shimmer or Gilded, will still display. In areas where the scales are thin, some skin coloring may show through. You may use light pink and light tan as accents. There are several other effects available in the guide.
- Bard - This dragon's clutches have one additional egg.
- Druid - This dragon brings home an additional Collectable Item from Adventures. The item matches the activity. Currently, this trait only affects Salvaging.
- Eclipse – Eclipse is a sex separate from male and female, but during breedings, they may fill in for either one. At least one male or female still needs to be in the breeding--two Eclipse dragons can't breed together. As with all sexes in this game, these dragons may use any pronouns and identify as any gender. This sex only appears when the Eclipse Gene mutation is present on a dragon. Rites of Renewal cannot transform a dragon into this sex. Please be mindful of any pronouns that come after the dragon's sex, should you see them.
- Elemental Anomaly – This dragonis born with Tier IV magic of the corresponding type. Additionally, the Elemental Anomaly mutation will display magical effects in its design from the moment it’s hatched. They also gain a terrain bonus from the corresponding element and may wear equipment of a matching element. Note that while this can pass on in breeding, the anomaly element is random.
- Elemental Chimerism – Your dragon has their element rolled twice, raising the maximum number of elements to between two and four. Only one set of elements may pass to the children, which must be designated at the design stage. This primary set of elements is treated as the parent's elements during breeding. They gain the benefits of multiple elements where applicable, such as magic mastery or marking inheritance. It has access to all color sliders that its elements do.
- Fortune – This dragon will always bring an extra item home from activities.
- Frail – One of the Dragon’s elements is replaced with Thunder or Dark. You may choose which element is replaced, and with what. This mutation cannot be made recessive. On single element dragons, you may tack on one of the two or replace the single element.
- Harmony – This dragon is compatible with all elements.
- Genesis – Allows the dragon to have eggs without a mate. Courtship art is unavailable for this type of reproduction. The parent would be used as both the mother and father in the breeder, so it does not create true clones 100% of the time. Eggs born from Genesis will have the same lineage as their parent. It has a lower chance of passing than other mutations. It will never appear randomly in a clutch. This dragon may still breed normally with other dragons.
- Greying - Desaturates areas of your dragon. (more details on trait page)
- Independent – This is a trait exclusive to auctions, events, sales, and dragons bred from one of those. It allows your dragon to exist without a Rider. On top of this, they may form a bond with a Rider of any elemental specialty. You are still free to give them one, of course! Many game elements require a Rider. At the same time, Independent Dragons may take on special activities if they find themselves alone.
- Kaleidoscope – Eggs from this dragon will have one extra random trait. The drop chances are influenced by trait rarity, but not by element rarity. This effect does not stack, even if there are two Kaleidoscope parents. Click the trait for drop rates.
- Melanism – Prevents most display traits from showing on your dragon and turns the scale base black. Some things which affect the texture of scales, such as Shimmer or Gilded, will still display. You may use light dark brown as an accent and for markings lighter than the base. There are several other effects available in the guide.
- Mage – This allows the maximum amount of Summoning Rites for a dragon, even if they do not have Independent or were born with a Soulbound Familiar. This means they may have two Familiars total. When completing a Rite of Summoning, this dragon does not need a Keepsake Collar.
- Mercenary – Affiliation Points earned from Political Affiliation quests are doubled. This does not include randomized effects that grant AP.
- Multi-winged – Your dragon has more than one pair of wings. Any pairs of wings may be located anywhere on the body, so long as they are mirrored on the other side of the body.
- Monochrome – Monochrome is a mutation that applies one hue across your entire dragon. You may also ignore brightness rules, as long as all traits are visible.
- Prodigy – If a dragon would gain stats, it gains that many +1 instead.
- Ranger - This dragon has a small chance of obtaining a Familiar in any prompt. Familiars found are based on terrain.
- Shifter – This dragon may exchange any of their physical traits with any other non-mythic traits. Once this dragon is uploaded, its traits are set in stone and can no longer change.
- Reliant – This is a trait exclusive to auctions, events,and sales. The dragon may form a bond with a Rider of any elemental specialty.
- World-eater – Choose an element. The dragon gains elemental breath of that element (such as breathing fire or spitting stones). Once chosen, the element cannot be changed, even with redesigns. This allows the dragon to learn the Tier IV breath attack of that element, even if the dragon does not match that element.
| OTHER Guides |
| Legacy Markings |
Legacy traits have had a drastic design change. These traits are: Glass/Circuitry, Marked, Leafy, Starry, and Foliage/Bib. To preserve the old markings and design opportunities for those eggs and dragons, dragons with an origin on a separate site (ccbestiary and deviantART) may show legacy traits. Direct children of these dragons may also show Legacy effects, though they will not pass it on through further breeding. Read more about them here.
| Retired Trait Names |
These traits had their names changed for one reason or another. If you encounter an egg with one of these traits, here is the translation!
|Double Crest (crest type)